Friday, November 16, 2012

Day 38

It's Friday today, which means my Dad will arriving in a couple of hours. Who would have thought that at 28 I would still be so excited to see my parents? Well, I am. There is just something special about having my family around, I sure miss them when they leave.

On Wednesday my Mom and Em came and set up a Christmas tree in my room. 

It sure brightens things up in here. According to the nurses, I am the first one to get my tree up in my room. I think a few of them might be annoyed that I broke the unwritten Thanksgiving rule, I blame it on my Canadian blood, we always start mid-November and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Emory has been such a good sport these last 5 weeks. She actually enjoys hanging out in my hospital room and she is getting pretty attached to my Mom. Pretty sure she would take a cuddle with her over me in a heartbeat. I'm just happy she knows she is loved.

On Wednesday I had a visitor from a former bed rest mom. She had been on bed rest at this very hospital 4 years ago with twins. She brought me the sweetest care package full of all sorts of goodies, including this beautiful necklace.

I am so touched by her kindness and she has definitely inspired me to be a better person.

On Thursday I had a routine Ultrasound to check the location of the placenta and measure the growth of baby boy. They estimated that he weighs about 3 lbs 4 ounces. Such great news.

As of now, they don't think that my placenta has attached to my uterus, yay! If this is the case, I won't need a hysterectomy at delivery. They will keep an eye on it but ultimately won't know until they get in there.

Last night I started having a couple of contractions. They checked me to see if I was dilating, and it turns out I am between a 4 and a 5 now. Although dilation has been slow, it is continual. If I continue to dilate without contractions, they will just leave me. As soon as I dilate with contractions, it will be time to deliver. 

Since dilation from a 5-10 can happen rather quickly, I'm starting to prepare myself for the inevitable c-section. Ugh, the recovery stinks!


  1. HI Danielle, I follow your design blog. I Just had a 25 week baby boy at the beginning of October. My story seems similar to yours. I was admitted for a thinned cervix, but wasn't having contractions and just thought I would be on bedrest too. While they monitored me the first night, the baby's heart rate dropped to 60 and they had to do an emergency c-section. My placenta was starting to attach to the uterine lining where I had scar tissue from a septum removal surgery previously, but they were able to scrap most of it away since it was still so early. My sweet baby Jay is 6weeks old now, weighs 3lbs and is doing well in the NICU. This was my first baby and next time if the placenta sticks I may be in for a hysterectomy also. Each baby is such a blessing and ultimately a miracle. I am glad you have gotten so far with your pregnancy and wish you the best of luck! Just thought I'd share my story with you.
    -Tricia Crandall

  2. Hi Tricia,

    The NICU is a hard thing to go through, so glad your little one is doing well. My first baby was born at 24 weeks and 5 days, so I know what you are going through.

    So glad they could save your uterus, that is fantastic news! I'll keep you and your little one in my thoughts and prayers, it can be rough surviving the NICU and beyond