Thursday, November 8, 2012

Stress!


I didn't realize how stressful being on bed rest can be. Obviously my daily activities are not stressful, but trying to keep up with my families daily activities/commitments from a hospital bed is overwhelming at times. We have had lots of help which has made our new "normal" much easier to manage, but it's hard to explain the frustration I feel from not being able to do such simple tasks myself.

I feel guilty putting so much responsibility on Zack. We really lucked out with the timing of my hospital stay. Since Zack is in the middle of interview season for residency, he booked off October-January to travel to-and-from interviews. If he isn't out of town interviewing, he can be at home taking care of Em. 

This has been our saving grace. 

Not only is Zack juggling obtaining (the very competitive) Ophthalmology interviews,  traveling to interviews, and finishing up several publications, he is also taken over all of my daily responsibilities, including doing everything for Emory, plus managing to visit me on a daily basis. He is awesome. 

If you have ever known anyone to go through the medical school/residency experience, than you will understand the importance of getting a residency. Unfortunately, Opthalmology is one of the most competitive residencies you can apply for, making this whole experience extremely stressful. Top that off with a hospitalized wife and a potentially preemie baby, and...well, you get the idea.

Anyways, Zack is pretty much Mr. Do-it-all lately and I couldn't be prouder to call him mine.

Dads always seem to do things differently too, not necessarily worse, just different.
This morning he sent me this picture of Em in the tub, I love how he set up the iPad for her to watch. I'll give him points for creativity.


As we were Face-timing, Zack was finishing up Emory's hair (did I mention he can do a killer round brush?) and then he jumped on the ground to play a little doll house before they had to head out the door. I don't think Em will ever want me to come home.


It's the challenging times that make you stronger right? 
I guess I will just have to keep repeating that phrase to myself...



3 comments:

  1. Awe, so sweet! What a great Dad/husband!! Definitely keep repeating that and yes it is true. Our third son born who was born in June had some serious complications and spent almost two weeks in the NICU. It was an extremely stressful time but we adapted and came out stronger than ever. Hang in there girl, still praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! Even though it doesn't seem like you're doing much, you are! I had my daughter at 29 weeks and we all know that the longer that baby boy is in there, the less time he has to spend in the NICU. My daughter is 21 months now and 23 pounds - she's doing great! She was just very tiny when she was born. You're doing important work! Sending you positive thoughts.... -shanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband sounds awesome! I have 2 friends that just started residency this year and I remember the stress from last year with interviews- send good luck vibes your way for your husband and little boy!

    ReplyDelete